Blepharitis (Eyelid Inflammation)
Signs and Symptoms to Look Out For and how to deal with the condition
This inflammation of the oil glands in your eyelids is the most common cause of dry eyes. It can result from:
- An excess growth of bacteria that’s normally found on your skin
- A blocked oil gland on your eyelid
- A hormone imbalance
Signs and Symptoms
It makes your eyelids red, itchy, and a little swollen. The bases of your eyelashes may also look scaly. You might also notice:
- Feeling like something is in your eye
- A burning feeling in the eye
- Sensitivity to light
- Red and swollen eyes or eyelids
- Blurry vision
- Dry eyes
- Crusty eyelashes
Diagnosis & Treatment
There is no cure. But it can be treated and controlled. Just take care of your eyelids. If you don’t treat blepharitis, it could scar or injure your eyelids and your eye.
If you have blepharitis, take the steps listed below to help cleanse your eye:
- Wet a clean washcloth in warm (not hot) water.
- Wring it out and place it over your closed eyelids for 5 minutes.
- Rewet as necessary to keep it warm. This will help soften crusts and loosen oily debris.
If your doctor advises:
- Make a solution of half baby shampoo or mild soap, half water. Place the cloth over your index finger, dip it in the mix, and use it to clean your eyelid.
- Wash one lid at a time. Close the eye you’re cleaning. Rub the washcloth over your
eyelashes andthe edge of your lids for about 30 seconds to loosen clogged oils. Apply light pressure to squeeze out clogged oils from the glands behind your lashes.
- Rinse thoroughly with a clean, warm, wet washcloth. Pat dry.
Can I Prevent Blepharitis?
Yes. It’s easy.
- Keep your eyelids clean.
- Remove all eye makeup before bedtime.
- Don’t use eyeliner on the back edges of your eyelids behind the lashes.
- If you’re in the early stages of treating blepharitis, you can prevent further irritation by not using makeup.
- Once you do start to use it again, replace products used in or near your eyelids. They may be contaminated.
We would love to hear from you. We would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Kindly fill the form below or get in touch with us on +254 791 794 086